When booking a ride through a credit card, our system may check if the payment method is valid or not by attempting to hold an amount. These amounts are temporarily held and released by the bank after a few days. You might get a notification from Careem or your bank about the temporary hold.
What happens if the booking cost is less than the hold amount?
- When the booking is completed, the final cost will be charged from the hold amount
- The remaining amount will be released immediately from our end.
- Only your final booking cost will show up in your transaction history/trip receipt on Careem as well as your bank statement
- It could take 1-3 weeks for this to reflect on your bank statement, depending on your bank's policy
What happens if the booking cost is more than the hold amount?
- When the booking is completed, the hold amount will be converted into a charge on your payment method
- The rest of the amount will be charged as another transaction
- You might see multiple transactions on your account but be assured that only the total booking cost will be charged
What happens if the booking is cancelled?
- If the booking is cancelled, the hold amount will be released from our end immediately
- It may take about 1-3 weeks for your bank to reflect this, depending on your bank’s policy