What is needed to verify my identity?
- Emirates ID
- A small video recording
NOTE: You might also be asked to enable NFC on your mobile device. Updating your Careem app should remove this additional requirement
How to verify identity?
Simply follow the steps below:
- Select ‘Pay’ on the app homepage
- You will see a prompt for ‘Identity verification needed’. Select ‘Verify now’ to start the process (This process will also activate once you access the ‘Send Money’, ‘Send Aboard’, or, ‘Withdraw’ services)
- You will be asked to provide Careem with Camera permissions - we will need these for identity verification and document verification
- You will be redirected to the KYC startup screen which has information around verification, select ‘Start your verification’
- Take a picture of the front of your Emirates ID, you might see some text on the screen to guide you with the process, you will be shown the picture and you will be asked to retake or confirm the picture
- Take a picture of the back of your Emirates ID, you might see some text on the screen to help guide you with the process, you will be shown the picture and you will be asked to retake or confirm the picture
- You will see a page with some guidelines on good practices for the identity verification Selfie Video step once you ensure all the guidelines are met
- Click on ‘ Start Camera’
- You will see a screen, adjust your face in a way that it fits the provided shape, you might see some text on the screen to help guide you with the process.
- Follow the instructions on screen and you are done!
- You will be shown a rocketship while Careem checks the Emirates ID images and your Video Selfie. As soon as this check is done we will confirm that your verification is successful. In case there are any errors we will show you an error screen asking you to retry.
- At this time we will continue to work with our Banking and Security partners to ensure that your data and identity is protected.
You will see the status of your identity verification inside Careem Pay.
In the meantime, if you send money, we’ll line up the transaction and it will automatically be sent once you’re verified.
What if I face an error?
Here is what you can double check
- Camera access should be enabled for the Careem app.
- Emirates ID information should be clearly visible in the pictures. Avoid blurry images, no glare, no direct light on the card and the picture should be taken on a flat surface
- Selfie should be clear, in a well-lit room that is neither too dark or with glaring lights.
- Face verification should be done without any hats, masks, excessive makeup, items of clothing, or eyeglasses that would cover the face and lead to a failure of facial verification
- Foreign documents will not be accepted, only your most up-to-date and current Emirates ID can be used
Note: This is currently only available in U.A.E.